Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Matt Curtis Experience

Matt Curtis in action with TV Werne
This is former Mustang great Matt Curtis' first blog report on his experiences playing Pro basketball in Germany. More installments to come.

Hello All,


Gutten Morgan (Good Morning). That is the extent of my german that I have learned thus far, and to be honest I doubt if I will learn much beyond that. The language is a little tough to learn/understand, but most people here do speak English albeit a little broken. Im about a month in and am all settled. I am pretty familiar with my surroundings, which wasn’t difficult as I am situated in a fairly small town (Werne population is 30,000)

We had an alright pre-season with some decent showings against teams a league above us (ProB). We had our first regular season game last night, it was an away game and we got smacked by 20. We weren’t ready to play and defensively as a team we were terrible. I didn’t play especially great either which didn’t help, but we will get prepared this week and get ready for our home opener on Saturday.

The team has 3 imports, myself, a 6’9 power forward from St.Louis and a 6’4 guard from Serbia. The league has a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ stating that 3 Germans must be on the court at all times, so we all don’t get to play together which is a little frustrating, but coach says that this agreement won’t last long. As soon as one team plays with less, then the agreement is over. So hopefully that happened this previous weekend.

Well it is nearly mid-afternoon here (6 hrs ahead of London) and Im guessing the team is fast asleep after a lovely Saturday evening at the Ceeps (One of many things that I miss) To the team, get ready and be prepared to hit the ground running. I know September/October is a bit of a grind, with limited games and a lot of practices, but the work you put in now will pay off in March. Good luck and I will be keeping tabs on your successes.

From Germany with love.... and Bratwurst

Matt


Here is some video if you want to see Matt Curtis in his Mustangs Days

No comments:

Post a Comment