Monday, November 15, 2010

The Matt Curtis Experience #3


Former Mustang great Matt Curtis gives us his 3rd update on his experience playing pro basketball in Germany

Hello Hello,


Today is a great day. Reason being, the sun is out. First time I have seen the sun in about a week. It has been rainy and overcast and windy. All that annoying fall weather wrapped into one. Apparently I should get used to it because it gets like this a lot over here. Didn’t think I’d ever say this, but Id rather it just snow.

I was able to catch the games this weekend on Mustangs TV. Good win Friday and…yea Saturday was a rough one. But those bumps in the road happen, just got to stay focused and keep getting better.

I think we have only played on game since I last wrote, although Im probably wrong. We lost our last league game in Dorsten by about 10. We had 8 guys. We had a couple guys sick and a few in school unable to miss tests or something. But one of our other main guys went down with a hamstring injury in the first couple minutes and we were fighting uphill the rest of the game. We don’t have a regular season game until the 27th, but we have our second cup game on the 20th. Apparently what they do is throw every team in a hat and pick out the match ups at random. So by the luck of the draw, we drew a lower league team. So hopefully we will move on in the cup process.

Had an off weekend this past weekend and was able to do a little sight seeing. Went to Hannover, which was just under 2 hours away. Saw some cool old buildings, tight tiny cobble stone streets and Döner Kebabs….all things pretty much standard on any euro sight seeing trips. Also was able to check out a ProA (2.Bundesliga) game featuring a fellow canuck, Stu Turnbull. I know I know…it was hard for me too so stop cursing at me. It’s been 2 years now so I figured I’d say hello. I admit it was definitely strange talking to someone who was your nemesis for 5 years, but now we are in the same boat ( although his is a yacht and mine is a canoe) so figured I would get his input and advice.

All in all, besides ‘the ridiculous athletes’ (in a BC voice) I was not all that impressed with the level of play. Not a whole lot of team defence being played and a lot of isolated 1 on 1 situations. That is something that I have seen a lot, guys wanting to move up and thinking going 1 on 5 is the best way to do it. Needless to say, Stu’s team put up 91 pts and lost by 10…Go figure

Anyways, I better get going, missed a lovely evening of HBO programming to catch up on, I hope it was lovely and if it wasn’t don’t say a word. Hope everyone is doing well and good luck to the Stangs on the upcoming weekend.

Cheers

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment